I adore lasagna, don’t you? Lots of meat and cheesy goodness! Typical lasagna is pretty low on veggies, and I wanted to find a recipe that had a lot more veggie action going on. But when I looked online for veggie-packed lasagna recipes, most of the results were completely vegetarian ones. There’s nothing wrong with vegetarian lasagna if that’s your thing. But this carnivore wants a veggie AND meat lasagna!
I finally found one that tasted fabulous and had lots of veggies and meat – score! But it still wasn’t perfect… it was a Paleo recipe and therefore didn’t have actual cheese or pasta – blasphemy!
(I mean seriously, have you ever actually tried using sliced zucchini in place of the noodles? It’s nowhere even CLOSE to passable for real lasagna!) Plus, it had a billion steps and took forever to make, so I wanted to make it easier too.
My complete overhaul of the recipe is below. If you’re really into Paleo and want a dairy-free, pasta-free, slightly more complicated version though, you can find it here.)
(Note, this post may contain affiliate links. Also, a printable version of the recipe appears at the end of the post!)
- 2lbs lean ground beef
- 16oz mushrooms, chopped small. (I use and LOVE this mini “lawnmower” food chopper. It’s just the right size, easy to clean, and is kinda fun to use too!)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2tsp minced garlic (or 2 cloves, chopped)
- 6 lasagna noodles (or enough to make two layers in your lasagna dish)
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 20-oz frozen spinach (2 10-oz boxes)
- 1 Pint ricotta cheese
- 1-2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Lasagna spices
- 1tsp each of basil, thyme, and oregano
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1/4tsp pepper
- Ricotta spices:
- 1/4tsp each onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper
Here is that chopper I love so much:
I also make the sauce in my favorite pot – this thing is amazing, I use it for almost everything!
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Brown the beef in the pot until no longer pink, then drain the fat in a collandar.
- While the beef drains, use the same pot to saute the onion, garlic, and mushrooms until tender.
I seriously love this thing!
- Add the tomatoes, sauce, tomato paste, lasagna spices, and the drained beef back to the pot and simmer while continuing below…
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions. (You can totally omit this step and put them in uncooked! I’ve done it and it comes out just as good. So no need to dirty another pot – yay!)
- Squeeze as much water out of the thawed spinach as possible and place in a medium bowl.
- Add the ricotta and ricotta spices to the spinach bowl and mix together.
It will be thick, there is a ton of spinach in there!
- Smooth some of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a 9/13 lasagna pan (I love my simple glass one!)
- Place 3 noodles over the sauce, length-wise (or whatever equals one layer for you).
- Spread half of the ricotta mixture over the noodles (feel free to use your hands, it’s thick).
- Add half of the remaining meat sauce.
- Repeat steps 9-11.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then add the mozzarella cheese and bake for 10 more minutes until cheese is melted.
I hope you adore this recipe as much as we do! Be sure to pin it so you can save it for later.
You can find my other recipes on my Recipe page if you need other meal ideas!
If you try this, let me know how you like it! 🙂
Awesome Veggie AND Meat Lasagna
An easy, healthy, and delicious lasagna recipe the whole family will love! Packed full of veggies, but keeping the meat too – it’s a win-win!
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- 16 oz pkg of mushrooms (chopped small in a food processor)
- 1 large onion (chopped small)
- 2 tsp minced garlic ((or 2 cloves finely chopped))
- 6 lasagna noodles ((or whatever makes 2 layers in your lasagna dish))
- 1 large jar of tomato sauce
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 10 oz pkgs of frozen spinach ((thawed and squeezed to remove liquid))
- 1 pint Ricotta cheese
- Shredded mozzarella for the top (about 1-2 cups)
(Lasagna sauce spices):
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried onion
- 1/4 tsp dried garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F
In a large pot, cook beef over medium heat until browned, then drain in a colander.
While the beef drains, use the same pot to sauté the onion, garlic, and mushrooms until soft
Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, lasagna spices(basil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper), and the drained beef. Allow to simmer while continuing below.
[Optional] Bring a pot of water to a boil, then cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain when done. (You can just use the noodles uncooked if you like, it comes out exactly the same!)
Squeeze as much water out of the thawed spinach as possible, and place in a medium bowl.
Add the ricotta and ricotta spices to the spinach and mix together.
Smooth a little bit of the meat sauce along the bottom of a 9×13 pan.
- Place one layer of noodles lengthwise across the bottom of the pan (usually takes 3 noodles)
Add about half of the ricotta and spinach mixture and spread to cover the noodles.
On top of that, add half of the remaining lasagna sauce (don’t skimp, there’s a lot!)
- Repeat the above steps with a second layer of noodles, cheese and spinach, and ending with the lasagna sauce
Bake uncovered for 40 minutes
- Add the shredded mozzarella and bake about 10 more minutes, until the cheese is all melted.